“MySpace” the Content Editor – Customizing the Content Editor via the Rules Engine – Part 3: File Mapping

myspace-jpg-large

Let’s pretend I inherited a very old Sitecore implementation that was developed in the dark ages back in 2010 using Sitecore version 6.4.  Before version 7 and the renaissance, the history books tell us that this period was very dangerous, the Page Editor was largely ignored, template and field proliferation was widespread and anarchy reigned supreme. Continue reading ““MySpace” the Content Editor – Customizing the Content Editor via the Rules Engine – Part 3: File Mapping”

“MySpace” the Content Editor – Customizing the Content Editor via the Rules Engine – Part 2: The Experience Editor

myspace-jpg-large

Yesterday morning, I was asked to implement the Customized Content Editor module on a site Cris (project lead) and I are currently rebuilding. Cris was impressed with the module but had one request; she requested the modified field names appear in the Experience Editor as well.  Without thinking through all the aspects of why her request was valid, I quickly responded that since the content author can visually see where the field is located that they are editing, the field name is irrelevant.  Cris disagreed and brought up a good point.  If the content author was to switch back to the Content Editor, they would be confused as to which field they were previously editing.  Since we are on a tight deadline (two weeks), she said if it was too time consuming we would implement it in phase two.  I finished the task I working on so I decided to give her request five minutes of research.  I quickly discovered Cris’ request would be easy and quick to implement; 30 minutes later it was complete. Continue reading ““MySpace” the Content Editor – Customizing the Content Editor via the Rules Engine – Part 2: The Experience Editor”