Sitecore Commerce: Before My Wondrous Adventure Begins, A Little Nostalgia

Not to brag, but I have some knowledge about everything Sitecore 🙄🤣. I’m not saying the knowledge is substantial by any means, but it’s something more or less😆.  For example, today, July 28th 2017, I know very little about the Sitecore Print Experience Manager and the Email Experience Manager.  However, I know how to install it! That little piece of knowledge is going to eventually grow 🤣. There might be some other products or modules that I have neglected, but the largest area is Sitecore Commerce.

Continue reading “Sitecore Commerce: Before My Wondrous Adventure Begins, A Little Nostalgia”

Setting up a Habitat + Sitecore.Demo Site Locally

I was talking to my mentor Jon recently about Sitecore Ignition and various other topics and he mentioned on how he’s been constantly slammed with work. Jon’s so busy I think he’s forgot what having free time feels like. It’s nice, Jon 😏, free time is nice.

Finding free time is one of my super powers. However, as great as I am at finding time, I am unable to share the time I find. Aware of my powers as Sitecore Superman, Jon asked me for a favor. Since I am happy to help my Sitecore friends and I hate to let free time expire I told Jon I would be happy to help.

Continue reading “Setting up a Habitat + Sitecore.Demo Site Locally”

A Coming-of-Age Story of a Developer’s First Time with SOLR – Part 2: Installation Fun with SOLR

Before I begin I am under the assumption SOLR is going to be a diva.👸🏻 Why? I don’t know, guess it’s a gut feeling or a lame attempt to get a laugh. I don’t know what craziness awaits, however, I am pretty sure SOLR won’t request me to alphabetize it’s M&Ms.

SOLR gave me a list of demands that I must complete before it will start working. Those can be found here. Looking over its demands, it appears I need to use the command prompt… awesome…. not really. I dislike the cmd and I avoid it as much as possible. My dislike for the cmd is totally based on my lack of overall knowledge about its syntax and commands and my laziness to learn more. All I know is how to change directories👍🏻 👏🏻, and that’s it, everything else requires Google searches.

Disclaimer: Any errors I encounter involving the cmd will be my fault and probably for a dumb reason.  The documentation is most likely accurate. Continue reading “A Coming-of-Age Story of a Developer’s First Time with SOLR – Part 2: Installation Fun with SOLR”

The Better Solution: Injecting Resources into the Experience Editor

Friday, July 7th I began my new series “A Different Approach” with the post about injecting resources into the experience editor. After I made my that post live, I continued my research and I became increasingly unhappy with my solution described. There is a better solution that solves my issue and that solution is somewhere in this post! 😮  Continue reading “The Better Solution: Injecting Resources into the Experience Editor”

A Coming-of-Age Story of a Developer’s First Time with SOLR – Part 1: Life Before SOLR

The Olden Days, Sitecore 6x and the Dreaded Sitecore Search

Before Sitecore 7/8 and the great feature explosion (Experience Editor, DMS, EXM, DEF, etc.), Sitecore Search scared me, it was my Kryptonite. Any attempts to learn it always seemed to end with frustration and my anxiety smashing through the roof. In my weakened state, all chances of learning were now gone until I eventually recovered from my Kryptonite exposure. Continue reading “A Coming-of-Age Story of a Developer’s First Time with SOLR – Part 1: Life Before SOLR”

A Different Approach: Injecting Resources into the Experience Editor

Welcome to the first post in a new series called “A Different Approach”. Often when I search for a solution to an issue, I find multiple posts that solve the issue in a similar fashion. Since I have a strong need to be unique, I try and come up with a different approach. In this new series, I’ll share the most common solution found, cite the source(s) and explain my unique alternate approach. In the event my approach is not all that unique and is similar to another, please inform me and comment below. I will happily update my post giving credit to the developer and providing a link to their post.

Last week in my “Mister Rogers” themed post, I presented an issue a client had with the Experience Editor and then showed you my solution to that issue. My code contained some HTML markup with custom CSS classes. In order to complete the video demo by the end of last week, I took a shortcut and hardcoded the style definitions above the markup in processor. This is unacceptable for numerous and obvious reasons.

This is a great example of a ”code smell”.

Continue reading “A Different Approach: Injecting Resources into the Experience Editor”